Pace Sustainability Initiative Wins Big

The Pace Sustainability Initiative won the Dean Emanuel Heller Meritorious Service Award, given to the Pace University student organization that demonstrates outstanding collective participation in University and community affairs.

This student organization is spearheading sustainable changes on Pace University’s NYC campus under the guidance of its faculty advisor, Environmental Studies and Science Assistant Professor Anne Toomey, PhD. The club was formed in fall 2017 through a merging of the Sustainability Network at Pace (SNAP), created by Carly Sheinberg ’19, Environmental Studies, and PSI, created by Thomas Carpenito ’21, Environmental Science.

Since its inception, PSI has been executing several initiatives, including convincing the University to attach aerators to all dorm faucets, saving an average of 2,688,781 gallons of water and $35,479 annually. They host several talks with topics such as the carbon tax, sustainable travel and studying abroad, and climate policy. They also hosted John Mandyck, the chief executive officer of Urban Green Council, who gave a talk about urban policies and arranged trips to the New York Aquarium and the Museum of Natural History.

Follow the club on Instagram @psi_pace.

Recent Posts

Recycling Right with Sustainable Westchester

Environmental Studies student Brooklyn Flick ’24 shares her experience interning at Sustainable Westchester. “As I move forward in my college career, I have begun to desire a way to put into practice what I have been learning in my classes. Therefore, when the opportunity to work with a company called “Sustainable Westchester” in their Zero Waste division opened up, I knew it sounded exactly right; or Recycle Right as I was later told.”

read more
Fall 2022 Speaker Series: Environmental Science and Policy

The Environmental Studies and Science department is hosting a Fall Speaker Series on Environmental Science and Policy. Our kick-off event on September 29 is a virtual webinar by Dr. Susanne Moser about science-practice interaction and communication on climate change resilience.

read more