Pace Sustainability Initiative Wins Big

The Pace Sustainability Initiative won the Dean Emanuel Heller Meritorious Service Award, given to the Pace University student organization that demonstrates outstanding collective participation in University and community affairs.

This student organization is spearheading sustainable changes on Pace University’s NYC campus under the guidance of its faculty advisor, Environmental Studies and Science Assistant Professor Anne Toomey, PhD. The club was formed in fall 2017 through a merging of the Sustainability Network at Pace (SNAP), created by Carly Sheinberg ’19, Environmental Studies, and PSI, created by Thomas Carpenito ’21, Environmental Science.

Since its inception, PSI has been executing several initiatives, including convincing the University to attach aerators to all dorm faucets, saving an average of 2,688,781 gallons of water and $35,479 annually. They host several talks with topics such as the carbon tax, sustainable travel and studying abroad, and climate policy. They also hosted John Mandyck, the chief executive officer of Urban Green Council, who gave a talk about urban policies and arranged trips to the New York Aquarium and the Museum of Natural History.

Follow the club on Instagram @psi_pace.

Recent Posts

Read On Waterwire: My Summer of Extreme Weather

Read on Waterwire: Julia Corrado ’23 describes her time working with the Waterfront Alliance as a climate advocacy and policy fellow. “When I started the fellowship, I was excited simply to work in my field of interest with people whose goals I share. I’m ending my time with the Alliance with a full-time position in the field, pursuing aligned goals.”

read more