Garden Notes: Update from the Pleasantville Organic Vegetable Garden

By Angelo Spillo

This year our organic vegetable garden is off to a great start thanks to seven dedicated students and several faculty and staff members. Student involvement in the garden started to grow before COVID-19 hit, but this spring more students than ever have expressed interest and are happy to get their hands dirty.

We had about 500 plants growing in the hoop house and many have been transplanted. Our first radishes were picked last week and the crew is nurturing our cold weather crops including broccoli, cabbage, turnips, beets, carrots, snap peas, bok choi, lettuce and more.

One new addition this year will be a “community” herb garden located outside the gated garden area. This is available to anyone who wants to can come and clip herbs. This new garden should be complete in the next couple of weeks.

Our staff/faculty Garden Club has started meeting again for the season. We meet on scheduled Thursdays or Fridays and exchange ideas about gardening followed by a visit to the garden. This year I’ll have handouts, garden book raffles, and maybe even some plants to give away. If you are interested, send an email to aspillo@pace.edu to be added to the mailing list for scheduled dates.

Angelo Spillo

Angelo Spillo

Director of Operations and Co-Curricular Enrichment, Dyson College Institute for Sustainability and the Environment

Recent Posts

Read On Waterwire: My Summer of Extreme Weather

Read on Waterwire: Julia Corrado ’23 describes her time working with the Waterfront Alliance as a climate advocacy and policy fellow. “When I started the fellowship, I was excited simply to work in my field of interest with people whose goals I share. I’m ending my time with the Alliance with a full-time position in the field, pursuing aligned goals.”

read more
Recycling Right with Sustainable Westchester

Environmental Studies student Brooklyn Flick ’24 shares her experience interning at Sustainable Westchester. “As I move forward in my college career, I have begun to desire a way to put into practice what I have been learning in my classes. Therefore, when the opportunity to work with a company called “Sustainable Westchester” in their Zero Waste division opened up, I knew it sounded exactly right; or Recycle Right as I was later told.”

read more