Read on Panthera:
Fab Four: Beetles, Big Cats, Bears and Biodiversity

Joshua Barry ’19, has recently published a paper entitled, “Pumas as ecosystem engineers: ungulate carcasses support beetle assemblages in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem“, co-authored with fellow Pace student Anna Kusler ’18, and Pace faculty members Matthew Aiello-Lammens, PhD, and Melissa Grigione, PhD. Joshua wrote a blog post discussing the paper originally published in Oecologia in which the authors highlight the ecosystem engineering role of pumas for beetle communities. Read the full post here.

Panthera is the only organization in the world that is devoted exclusively to the conservation of the world’s 40 wild cat species and their landscapes. Utilizing the expertise of the world’s premier cat biologists, Panthera develops and implements global strategies for the most imperiled large cats: tigers, lions, jaguars, snow leopards, cheetahs, pumas, and leopards.

Recent Posts

Recycling Right with Sustainable Westchester

Environmental Studies student Brooklyn Flick ’24 shares her experience interning at Sustainable Westchester. “As I move forward in my college career, I have begun to desire a way to put into practice what I have been learning in my classes. Therefore, when the opportunity to work with a company called “Sustainable Westchester” in their Zero Waste division opened up, I knew it sounded exactly right; or Recycle Right as I was later told.”

read more
Fall 2022 Speaker Series: Environmental Science and Policy

The Environmental Studies and Science department is hosting a Fall Speaker Series on Environmental Science and Policy. Our kick-off event on September 29 is a virtual webinar by Dr. Susanne Moser about science-practice interaction and communication on climate change resilience.

read more